President Trump is being urged to declare a national state of emergency in order to tackle the epidemic of opioid overdoses, and with good reason. While Americans are still coping with the same amount of pain, the quantity of opioid prescriptions from medical doctors has quadrupled since 1999. The high availability of opioids, despite their high risks of addiction and overdose, have made them popular as medical treatments and recreational drugs. Currently, the opioid epidemic claims as many lives as 9/11 every three weeks.
The United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that the abuse of powerful prescription painkillers, opioids, costs the economy over $78.5 billion annually, and growing. This calls for social injustice law firms to seek solutions and fight back against manufacturer enablers.
Three months ago, the State of Ohio filed a lawsuit against the pharmaceutical industry over the opioid epidemic. The lawsuit accuses several pharmaceutical companies of conducting marketing campaigns that misled doctors and patients about the potential risks of overdose and addiction. Ohio is not the only state taking action; Mississippi filed a similar lawsuit that is still pending, West Virginia has gone after major drug distributors and reached settlements, and the City of Chicago, counties in New York, and California have all started litigation.
The Sanders Phillips Grossman Law Firm fights back against opioids manufacturers.
The Sanders Phillips Grossman Law Firm has put together a task force that is prepared to advise states, counties, cities, and municipalities on possible opioid litigation. The task force is made up of accomplished and experienced attorneys, each contributing their extensive knowledge in different areas to the team.
The team is made up of the following people:
- Marc Grossman, Esq, Senior Managing Partner, heads the task force. Mr. Grossman has been an advocate for consumer rights for over twenty-five years and has served on numerous committees on the Federal and State levels. He is known as one of the premier lawyers in the country receiving awards and accolades for his efforts.
- Dr. John Restaino contributes both his medical and legal knowledge to the task force. He is a surgeon who became an attorney to advocate for patient rights against pharmaceutical and medical device companies. Through his medical and legal practices, Dr. Restaino experienced first-hand the damages inflicted from poor warnings and harmful products that caused catastrophic injuries including death and the plight that addiction causes so many Americans today.
- Randi A. Kassan’s mass tort experience stems from specializing in New Jersey Vioxx litigation discovery, then assisting on the Avandia steering committee, as well as conducting the discovery committee during the Fosamax trial in the Superior court of New Jersey. Randi has garnered a plethora of experience and knowledge in the mass tort community by staying intimately involved in all facets of the litigations, specifically Electronic Storage discovery, Party and Non-Party Discovery, and Science in multiple mass torts across the country.
- Victoria Maniatis, having been a part of the firm since 2011, brings years of experience in litigation, including the Bard, Boston Scientific, Ethicon, and American Medical Systems cases within the Transvaginal Mesh litigation as well as Fosamax Femur Fracture litigation. A distinguished lawyer in the field of pharmaceuticals, her accolades have earned her invitations to be a lecturer and moderator on several pharmaceutical cases.
- Timothy Clark has extensive knowledge of medical device and pharmaceutical regulations, specifically, pharmaceutical product pre-approval development, with detailed understanding on Non-Clinical Studies and Clinical Trials, and post-approval obligations and requirements, including Safety Surveillance and Pharmacovigilance and ongoing Clinical Trials. His understanding of the FDA-drug sponsor relationship enables him to tailor successful strategies and arguments in discovery battles in order to procure materials Plaintiffs and their experts’ need to get the job done.
- Vince Carnevale has over ten years of experience managing all aspects of electronic discovery including collection, search, review, and production. Vince has been the lead ESI project manager for some of the largest Mass Tort Class Action Pharmaceutical litigations in the country and also has experience with Bankruptcy, Antitrust, Securities, Commercial and Employment Law matters. He has drafted various discovery pleadings including Document Preservation Orders, Legal Hold Notices, and Electronically Stored Information (ESI) Document Production Protocols.
- Eric Gibbs prosecutes consumer protection, whistleblower, antitrust, and mass tort matters. He has been appointed as lead counsel, class counsel, and liaison counsel in dozens of contested, high profile class actions and coordinated proceedings. Eric has recovered nearly a billion dollars for the clients and classes he represents, and has negotiated groundbreaking settlements that resulted in meaningful reforms to business practices, and have favorably shaped the laws impacting plaintiffs’ legal rights. He has been widely recognized for his professional excellence and achievements and has been selected by numerous publications as a leading lawyer in the field of Class and Mass Actions.
- Mark P. Glago has handled over 2,500 cases and been the “first-chair” lawyer for over 160 trials in Louisiana courts. He has built a respected, full-service law firm devoted to recovering compensation for clients in a range of practice areas such as class actions, wrongful death, medical malpractice, commercial litigation, and other situations. He is the current Chairman of the Insurance Law Division of the Louisiana Association of Justice (formerly the Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association).
About Sanders Phillips Grossman
Sanders Phillips Grossman, LLC partners have a fifty-four-year history as a leading force in social injustice litigation including mass-tort litigation, and is prepared to help victims nationwide who have been harmed at the hands of the world’s largest pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing companies. Leading the charge, the Sanders Firm team is consistently investigating links and developments in mass-tort litigation at the highest level. The firm’s advocates sit on the Plaintiffs’ steering committees of the most widely litigated pharmaceutical claims. The firm’s members continue to lead the discussion at national conventions such as Mass Torts Made Perfect, and serve as chairmen of the reputable Mass Tort Medical School, among many other notable achievements.
For questions, comments and inquiries please call 833-SANDERS or e-mail Senior Partner Marc D. Grossman at email@example.com. Sanders Phillips Grossman, LLC has offices located throughout the United States including New York, California, Washington, New Jersey, Illinois, Colorado, and Puerto Rico. Our attorneys are admitted to practice law in state or federal courts in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Georgia, Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin. The firm and its affiliates have over fifty attorneys and two hundred support staff dedicated to fighting for social injustices in the United States.
Contact Opioids Task Force: